Laboratory 3 - RDB 975002 - £18
Laboratory 3 - RDB 975002 - £35
Lab 3 was converted from a BR Mk1 RSO and was used as a support coach in the APT PoP Test Train.
My unpainted kit includes Body, Chassis, 4x Oval Buffers and a pair of B5 Bogies. Transfers are available from RailTec Transfers (2713).
The formation of the APT POP Test Train varied over time, but the early framework body train consisted of
- RDB 975002 "Laboratory 3"
- PC3 - RDB 975634 PoP APT Development Power Car
- PC4 - RDB 975635 PoP APT Development Power Car
- RDB 975547 "Laboratory 23" generator coach -or-
- RDB 975428 "Laboratory 10" generator coach
The PC3/4 vehicles were later given a body-skin and were positioned between RDB975636 "Laboratory 8 'Pilot'" which was a modified APT-P vehicle with the three APT PoP set conducting bogie and ride research work on the WCML.
PC3 and PC4 are available as an excellent kit in N gauge and these are available from Leadley Kits here.
Lab 23 and the original BG it was based on have been produced by Graham Farish by Bachmann.
- Initially carrying BR's standard Blue & Grey when converted for use with the PoP train, this could be created using a standard "Blue Riband" BG model.
- It was then painted into original RTC Red & Blue and this is available from Bachmann (374-043).
- before again being repainted into the revised (Intercity Executive style) RTC livery (374-035K) (limited edition only available to Bachmann Collectors Club members here).